Day 81: The Necessity of Naps in India (and why I can't anymore)

So... what??? I have less than 30 days left in India. Sometimes I feel really excited about the idea of going home (because I miss you people).. and sometimes I feel panicked by the idea that I have leave all this behind! It scares me that I have to FINISH my research! What if I forget to ask a question? What if I think of something vital when I get back to America and then my paper sucks because I didn't have the foresight to get some very important piece of information?

And then there is the fact that life here is pretty chill. There is definitely A LOT to keep me busy. But it isn't the same kind of busy as student life at BYU. It's much more flexible. I get to choose when I want to do something. The only real deadlines are my own (except, I guess, for my hindi homework for my skype class). When I get back to America I will have... five days before spring semester starts! I'm worried that I will have forgotten how to work my butt off. Especially since I have 10 credits and I will be dying to have my social life back! haha.

At times like this when I'm worried, I remember that worrying can be a useful thing, if you don't take it to far. Worrying causes me to make the changes in my habits now so that I can adjust more quickly later. For example... while in India, I have taken more naps than I thought I would ever need. Naps are amazing!! I have taken one at least 6/7 days while being here (other than on trips and excursions). Partly this is because I have early class (Telugu) and late class (Hindi) so I don't get to sleep as much most nights. Partly it is because the afternoons are so hot that we get lulled into this lethargic semi-wakefulness and then I feel almost incapable of doing anything productive. So I nap, stay up late (when its cooler) to work, and then repeat the pattern the next day. These last few weeks I've been trying to break that habit. Some days I really do need a nap (like today)... but the majority of days should go without napping from now on. Or else I'll need WAY to much sleep when I'm back at school. Haha and with 10 credits, a job, a possible internship, running and a social life I'm going to be really, really busy (*crying a little bit in fear*).

Besides that I'm trying not to procrastinate as much. Like right now: I have 3 interviews waiting to be transcribed. I could say "I'll do it tomorrow" (like i have for the past few days)... but no! I'm going to go do that. Now... right... now. See now you get to hold me accountable!

Thanks for the help!

Love,
Stéf

Comments

Popular Posts