Day 64: Movies and Pop Culture

Tonight I watched the movie "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" for the first time in my life.
My roommate Sydney Wise performed the play once and since then I've really wanted to see the movie. In the past I haven't  been  super into watching older movies. People suggest them and I promptly file those suggestions away in the "movies I will watch one day when I have no options left" file. Maybe I'm not drawn to them because I never saw many as a child. I hadn't seen Gone with the Wind or Sound of Music till last summer. And I still haven't seen Marry Poppins.

But I'm working on it! It's very interesting to see the parallels in Indian media culture. There are OLD movies that everyone knows about. We were at an Rajusthani music performance a month or so ago at Gitam University and the crowd went wild for this one song they said came from a very old movie. Obviously it was very popular since the parents passed down those songs and movies to their children when they grew up. 

What movies have your parents passed on to you? 
My dad loves It's s Wonderful life. 
My mom... well I don't think we ever watched any older movies together, from what I can remember (Can you remember any Mom?); we watched a lot of chickflicks though! 

This gets me thinking of what movies from OUR time I will share with my future children. Definitely Pirates of the Caribbean... Tangled... Finding Neverland,  Frozen, Ever After, Clueless, Lord of the Rings (when they are older) and I know I'm forgetting A LOT but my last two would be Dead Poets Society and Megamind. 

How fun will it be to share those movies with them one day? I wonder how old they would look? What comes next after HD and 3D movies?? 

Whatever comes next its fascinating to me that movies and actors become such a big part of our lives all around the globe. I suppose watching a movie is a way of living outside of ourselves for a moment in time. Sailaja, one of the girls who is part of the staff, has this big crush on Mahesh Babu. Mahesh is a huge Tollywood star (telugu films). She sings his songs and giggles when we mention his name.
Of course media has its negative affects but I'm very grateful for the power movies have in capturing memories that would disappear otherwise (like who you watched it with, and how you felt at the time). 

Stéf 


Comments

  1. Shout out to Stef for being the coolest girl ever!!! And for watching Seven Brides :) It's a classic. Totally unrealistic, but a classic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts