Day 67: Miracles Again and Again

Today I launched part two of my research! YAY! haha okay, I'll fill you in.

In the last two or so months I have been interviewing parents (and close family members) who have children living (studying or working) abroad. I ask parents about the challenges and the benefits of being separated from their children. I ask them about the methods they use to keep their relationships strong and to maintain their culture (bless you Skype). I usually do one interview every day. Some days I meet with parents that don't seem that interested in talking to me, but once in a while I meet these beautiful people that LOVE to talk about their families and are willing to open their hearts, homes and families to me so that I can get a glimpse at both their pain and their happiness.

A while back (in January) my mother gave me this great idea! She suggested that once I interview the parents I should try to contact their children (through email), to ask them similar questions! Brilliant right??

Well I sent out my first four emails today. I wrote up a questionnaire and then I waited to hear back from them! I thought it would take a few days. But I have already received two responses!

One is from a woman names Prema. She is from Texas and she is a contact I made through my step-father. While on business in Texas he told her about my research (nice guy huh?) and she was interested in talking to me (mostly because she knows of a play/opera in Houston that is about the challenges of emigration for Indian families in America--- wow, right??). She wrote me a very friendly email and said that she would love to take the survey. So I will probably have my first response soon. Can you tell I'm excited? ;)

The second response was from the WONDERFUL woman that I met about a month ago while she was visiting family here in India. Sarada is probably in her late sixties and has been living in America for over 30 years.We ended up going to her nieces wedding and she sat with me for a few hours explaining all the rituals. At the end she invited me to visit/stay with her in Chicago whenever I want. I LOVE her. You know those older people you just click with right away? She is one of those people.  This is the email she sent me-- it's so sweet, I had to share it with you guys!

Dear beautiful Lady!  Stefanie! Warm greetings. lovely to hear from you. Chicago is going through extremely extreme weather patterns. Snow storms, severe winds, no power, no gas, minus below 0 temps.....freezing ...! Global warming can not pin point. 
Hope you are able to handle India and the culture shocks.
I will be able to respond to your questionnaire. and will give more immigrants names. I have done many projects in this area as Director for Center for Telugu studies - Chicago Chapter. Give me more info and categories of people you are looking for. 
Keep well. please be very careful with water milk and fruits in Summer.
Look forward to hear from you......Sarada with love....

And ladies and gentlemen is Sarada. I might have only talked to her for a few hours but it takes less than that to love her. Even my slightly cranky Telugu teacher melts into a puddle of smiles and nice-ness when she is around Sarada. It's very impressive.

So I feel very blessed right now :) With Sarada helping me I will get to speak to so many more immigrants!

Love,

Stéf

Comments

Popular Posts