Day 60: How to Be Discontent


This week has been one of those ‘lull’ weeks for most of us on this program. We just got back from our travels, we are a little sick, outings and responsibilities keep popping up here and there and so we haven’t had the chance to really get back to work. At least I haven’t. I’ve been taking some midterms and trying to get over this cold. And to be honest, up till tonight I’d been kind of putting off even thinking about starting interviews again because I just wanted to miss home for a little bit and run away from the terrible heat that descended on this city while we were away.

But tonight after Hindi class I was writing down a list of things I need to get done tomorrow to throw a little organization and direction back into my life when I decided to start transcribing the last interview I did before going on vacation. You might not remember my post about this interview but this was my FAVOURITE interview ever. The woman I spoke to was the nicest, most sincere person I have met since arriving here in Vizag. She just genuinely loved me from the moment we met—and not because I’m cool or anything, but because she loves EVERYONE she meets and lets them see it. I’m sure you can think of someone in your life who is like that. Now picture them as a cute old lady, wearing a saree, and speaking in the cutest Indian-British accent ever to have been heard on this earth. Yeah. She’s awesome.

Well I was listening to the recording of our interview… and I was reminded why I am here. I’m not here because living in India for four months sounded like the adventure of a lifetime (which it did). I’m here to research the lives of people like this woman… I’m here to understand how a mother or father feels when she/he is separated from their children by half a globe. I’m here to learn absolutely everything I can about the challenges of every day life for transnational families face. How do they cope with being separated from their grandchildren? What keeps them going? Hearing about how this woman’s sickness keeps her from traveling to be with her children reminded me that I’m doing this so that maybe in the future I can do something to help people cope with these kinds of circumstances.

Right now I have a list of nine more families to go talk to. I only have a short amount of time left here and I don’t want to waste it. I know I would regret not having talked to as many people as possible when I get back home. And after tonight I’m excited to get back out there! No more sitting under my fan cuz it’s too hot outside. It IS too hot outside. That is a fact, and I can’t change it one bit. 

I have this theory that you start to grow discontent when you aren't doing as much as you know you could and should be doing. I'm always happier when I'm working hard and pushing myself-- then I don't dwell on the things I miss or wish I could add to my life.

I know my research might not be the biggest thing to rock anthropology since... i dunno... Durkheim!... but I see value in what I’m learning :) And I think the research I gather in these four months will be something I will cherish for all my life!

Stéf

Comments

  1. Your post is full of wisdom and truth! Thank you for reminding of how easy it is to fall into the trap of procrastination, laziness and discontent - and that I too need to kick myself in the butt to change what I don't like or wish for. At any given time, we have the power to do so, just have to find the will!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts