Day 79: Dr Krishnayya

Dr. Krishnayya is the field school director for us here in Vizag. He's in his seventies, very feisty, and rather unpredictable.

This weekend we took a trip to his hometown and the surrounding sites. We were super excited to go but also a little bit nervous because in the last few months none of us have spent a lot of one of one time with Dr. Krishnayya. He can be a little snappy sometimes and so we've kind of gotten into this habit of tip toeing around him. Don't get me wrong-- we think he's great and he's definitely a great help to us, but I don't feel tight with him by any means. I think he thinks we are hooligans ;P

But after this weekend I feel like we got somewhere with him! He was (mostly) chatty and helpful and excited to show us around. AND I discovered that he is actually quite funny. Not the hilarious kind of funny.. but funny in the way that reserved people are funny; when amidst all their seriousness, they let out a joke and you aren't quite sure whether you should laugh or not.

My post today is dedicated to some of the gems that came out of his mouth this weekend (but most especially today):

While sight seeing Dr. Krishnayya and I start talking about the research projects past students have done. He mentions a girl who did her project on abandoned widows. (Context note: Dr. Krishnayya is not married)

Me: Oh so that's like in the movie 'Water'?! I really like that movie.
Krishnayya: I don't know where they find such widows! I have never seen them. I would love tind one. They are all very good looking! 
(BAHA WHAT??)

While driving by a canal where a water buffolo was swimming, Israel turns to Dr. Krishnayya.
Israel: Can we jump in the water with the water buffalos??
Without a moments hesitation, Dr. Krishnayya responds: "Ask the buffalos!" 
(Does that mean no?? Boooo)

Bekah was speaking with Dr. Krishnayya and making conversation (she's great at this).
Bekah: So have you spoken English your whole life? 
Dr. Krishnayya (with a straight face): So far. 
(Witty guy..)

(I'm realizing as I write these that they don't sound that funny in this format but they really were in real life... maybe you have to know him to feel how unexpected his jokes are)

One last one...

Walking around with our tour guide... he turns to Dr. Krishnayya.
Man: So they all come from Brigham Young University. 
Krishnayya: Yes... (smiles slightly) we are very lucky to have all the Brigham youth. 
(Now I'm not a fan of puns but I can admit that this one was well placed)

So, if you didn't think any of those were funny well then, sorry! Sometimes when you have only about 10 people in your day to day life who you can fully communicate with you, maybe you stop being that picky about what makes you laugh. haha

Good day!
Stéf


 


Comments

Popular Posts