Day 41: Strike That

We woke up thinking that we would be busy with interviews today. I had plans to go with our translator Sudha to Andhra University to speak to some professors and students. Instead, when we came downstairs Rajya Lakshmi told us that the rickshaw drivers were on strike.. then we found out the buses were on strike. Then we found out that when the city is on strike the whole city sleeps for the day. There were still some rickshaws working and some shops were open but you could tell that everyone was on vacation mode. It was kind of interesting to watch! So instead of interviewing people I caught up on some transcribing and looked through some of my notes. We even made banana chocolate milk for everyone.
(The city is striking because the state we live in --Andhra Pradesh-- is being divided into two states; a lot of people aren't very excited about this so strikes have been happening frequently over the last 6 or so months) 

This week the city started their summer power cuts. Basically that means for 2 hours each day all the electricity in the city turns off. It happens from 7 to 8 in the morning, and 1 to 2 in the afternoon. So we kind of have to plan around that a little bit now. But its an interesting way of saying power :) I like it... except not having the fans on during that time is a little rough.

I don't have much else to say today because I would love if you would all go read my friend Kylie's blog. She wrote a beautiful post for Valentine's day about heartbreak. I've never had my heart really broken but ever since I saw Kylie go through that I know its a real thing. I know how much this blog post could help someone who is struggling right now. Here it is:

http://www.kylieinthesky.com/2014/02/heartbreak-and-healing.html

Hope you all have fun plans for Valentine's day. When I'm not dating anyone I like to think of Valentine's day as my self-appreciation day. I just go out and do something fun (usually with friends). And then I remind myself that love is a beautiful thing-- even if I'm not in love right now (or even 'in like'). I really believe that Heavenly Father knows when to give us someone to love.
Exactly a year ago I had no idea whether I had the ability to love another person. I was afraid there was something wrong with my heart. So much has happened in the last year and this Valentine's day I'm just glad that now I KNOW I have the ability to love.

So tomorrow I'll be celebrating the knowledge that love will come when it comes.

Stéfanie

Comments

Popular Posts