Day 39: Lions and Tigers and Bears


I woke up this morning fairly excited because we had plans to go to the zoo and to a musical performance in the afternoon. But I had no idea how incredible this day would end up being. 

The zoo was amazing. Of course we saw a lot of Jungle Book/Lion King animals. We couldn't find Baloo but we did find this weird looking bear. His snout looks like a pig/dog snout. I wish I could have gotten it at the right angle. Here he is, trying to climb up to see us.
Most of the animals were napping because it was a very hot day. And since they have very big enclosures most of them were quite far off (not so good for pictures).

But the atmosphere of the zoo was what got us. It was BEAUTIFUL—so well taken care of and so quiet. There was this lovely breeze all day long and there was just enough trees to give us lots of shade.
My favourite part was when we had some delicious mango popsicles and just sat in the shade and felt the breeze without really any intention of ever leaving again. haha It was such a peaceful moment. We couldn’t stop smiling :) Here we are right after getting our popsicle and ice cream.


After the zoo we went to Gitam University. I wrote a post about this university a few days ago. Every time I come to this place I love it more and more. I would love to study at this school and live on this campus. Just like the zoo it has this wonderful peaceful environment. But also, it is just super nice to be around people our own age who treat us like normal people (mostly… we are getting there). The canteen also has the best fried rice I have ever tasted-- so there, we have another reason we should stay forever. Somehow I will get that recipe.
Our purpose in going to Gitam today was to go to a Rajusthani dance performance. And IT WAS SO WORTH IT. I was going to post a video because I don’t even think I have words to explain how beautiful it was. But my internet isn't going to let me. Anyways, the dancers were cool but there is just something about the musicians that gets me! They have sooo much fun! The guy with the clappers was having a ball. And they were GOOD. Some of the music was so smooth that I almost fell asleep a few times and some of it were so exciting that we were clapping along for the whole thing. We met the musicians after and the main singer invited us to stay at his home with him and his family in Jaipur if we ever end up going there. We meet the nicest people here :) 

After the performances we went outside to these booths the students had set up. They were selling food from all over India and these two girls made us promise we would go to their stall. So we did and we had some crazy food—including (my favourite) some chicken skewers. They grilled them right in front of us. They were so spicy but SO delicious.
Then Sudha (our translator who lives at Gitam with her professor husband) helped us to catch the bus back home. She is one of the most kind, 'regal' people I have ever met. We always joke that if someone told us Sudha was the Queen of India we wouldn’t even doubt if for a second. 

When we got home dinner was almost ready. Our wonderful cook (and I think we can call her our friend now too) made us pasta-- shell pasta! It was spicy and perfect. I need that recipe too.
Then we went on a walk to get icecream at Cold Stone (they just opened one a few km away) and the girls and I had great discussions about life and love and India…

I love this day. We couldn’t have asked for more. 

Stéf



Comments

Popular Posts