Day 40: City of Destiny


City of Destiny—that is what the locals call this lovely place that I am living in. Over the last few days I’ve started to think that it really does deserve that name. I believe that for most people it is called that because it is a city that sprang up in a very short amount of time and made a lot of people very wealthy. But maybe it is also my “City of Destiny”! Maybe these four months in a place so different from home will change my life forever.

I can’t quite explain what is changing in me the longer I’m here. I don’t feel like its anything that will be majorly apparent to other people when I come back. But I feel like I was meant to see all that I’m seeing in this place—it's like I was meant to learn that I’m not as patient as I thought or as naturally good at empathizing as I always hoped I was. It’s not the funnest realization and I don’t like really digging at my flaws… but I feel like maybe that is what people talk about when they say travelling is so good for you. It’s easy to be kind and generous and patient in the life that you are accustomed to. So even if it’s hard to see into myself as much as I have here, I know that this could help me to restructure some of the parts of my personality that wouldn’t be as easy to change in another setting.

Today was one of those busy days when I had so much homework and interviews popping up all over the place. I did my first interview ALL ALONE :) Madhu (our translator) made us banana cake. I went to yoga and was reminded that I'm NOT flexible haha. And I wrote a valentine in Hindi for class that reminded me that love would be a lovely thing to have in my life.
But all in all I just felt GOOD :) I felt at peace with myself. I felt that though my flaws are deeply rooted, they aren't impossible to dig up and to change. I believe that people can change. I believe that Heavenly Father puts us on paths that will give us opportunities to see our flaws and to correct them. I'm positive that being where I am right now is one of those chances.

I hope you are all enjoying winter. Honestly, I miss that right now. It is getting HOT here.
Love you!
Stéf 

Comments

Popular Posts