Day 46: The Story of Vara Lakshmi 2

Today I'm writing about Vara Lakshmi because her story (the little I know of it) should be told. She is one of my favourite women here and today we had a long conversation as I got to know her a little. Usually we just smile at each other since I don't speak Telugu and she doesn't speak English. Let me tell you about her.

First off here is a funny story. When I was introduced to Vara Lakshmi I didn't think she liked us very much. She seemed kind of cynical and a little bit more reserved around us than most people. She would even mock us from time to time (in the nicest way possible). But I soon noticed that every once in a while--usually in the early morning or evenings-- Vara Lakshmi would suddenly become very cheerful. She was always smiling during those times of the day. She seemed like a completely different person.

It took me 2 weeks, no joke, to realize that there are actually TWO Vara Lakshmis. They both work around the house and they look almost identical. The biggest difference between them is their nearly opposite dispositions. hahaha I laughed so hard when I realized how silly I'd been. Vara Lakshmi 1 works in the kitchen and Vara Lakshmi 2 (the one this post is about) is the "baby massager". She comes over twice a day to take care of baby Mumoksha, to clean him, to give him this crazy massage/stretch and then to do a ritual thing.


I wish I could show you a picture of Vara Lakshmi 1 to contrast but I can't find one right now (i'll make that happen soon)

While I was talking to her today I found out that though she is cheerful and smiling ALL the time she has actually had a really hard life. When she was young she was married to man who treated her very badly throughout their marriage. With him she had two daughters (they are now 14 and 16). But a few years ago her husband passed away and she was able to start over again. Many of her friends told her that she should send her daughters to work right away so they could help her make money. But Vara Lakshmi decided that she would give her daughters their best chances by sending them to school. Of course that meant that Vara Lakshmi would have to work very hard by herself to make ends meet.

So now Vara Lakshmi is a housekeeper (she lives in the house next to us) and at the same time she takes care of 3 babies (twice every day). She works constantly. But she is one of those people who makes work seem peaceful and worthwhile.

Today, I asked her what the most important things in her life are and she told me that the most important thing is to be cheerful. Speaking about her trials she said that even through those challenges she has been happy because she chose to see the good things in life.

Everyone notices this about her! Everyone loves to be around her because she is such a positive person. Whenever I walk into the house she greets me with a big smile. She often tries to use whatever English words that she knows. One day I was walking back from the far end of our neighbourhood (about 1/2 km from our house) and she walked with me the whole way home to help me find the way.

I was reminded today that that is what I want to be like :) Vara Lakshmi is someone I will always remember. How many people can wake up each day with such heavy burdens to carry and still find a way to lift others? I hope one day I can be one of those people!

Stéfanie 

Comments

Popular Posts