Day 43: Queen Sudha

Like every Saturday we spent our day up at Gitam University. We are always excited when this day comes around.
These are the four people we spent most of our day with today. Sudha is on the far left. Next to her is Yasashwini (a girt that lives in one of the hostels on campus).  Beside her is Sarisha (Sudha's daughter) and beside her is Punit (Sudha's son).

Today I'm going to tell you all about Sudha the Queen. You'll see why we call her that in a second.
Sudha is one of those people that you can't help but love because she takes care of everyone around her and just shines like a light. She is in her early forties and she has her PhD in some kind of Biology. Today she showed us the book that she is trying to get published. It's on her dissertation research about a type of prawn that the fishermen near Vizag catch. The book was BIG. When I was speaking with Sudha today she told me that she wants to go on and do post-doctorate research abroad one day after her children have left home.

Sudha is also one of the most classy women I have ever met. She knows how to be kind even when bartering. She wears the most beautiful (but not showy) sarees and she speaks softly and calmly to everyone. She is always interested in learning more about our projects and in helping us in whatever way she can-- even if we don't have any translation work for her.

We all really admire her a lot. She has taken care of us in so many situations already. And she always welcomes us to her home. She is one person that I will want to keep in touch with when we leave. And her children are so great. They are always willing to talk with us about our research. One day they will most likely study in America (or abroad) so I hope I will get to see them there!

When I asked Sarisha (Sudha's daughter) if she had a boyfriend (because we were walking around campus noticing all the couples) she laughed and said,"No way! I hate boys" haha She's 18! I wonder when that will change! She likes her books more for now though (understandable).

So there is my tribute to Sudha :)

Time for me to sleep because we are going to a wedding celebration bright and early in the morning!

Stéfanie

Ps. This is one of my favourite spots near our house... I hung out here a lot today while I was getting some papers scanned and there is just  lovely ocean breeze that comes down this street :) And the internet cafe guy gave me a 4 rupee discount today! I think that means that we are friends at this point :P


Comments

Popular Posts