Day ?: Around the Corner

Life is unpredictable, right? Well, I love predicting life. I love anticipating what is coming around the corner. And most of the time, I'm pretty good at guessing. Life goes smoothly-- and the bumps that come are foreseeable. But not always. Sometimes you're riding on a train in India, happy as a clam, and the next moment you look over and your backpack isn't beside you any more. Sometimes that backpack was snatched by someone who had no idea how much pain and stress it would cause you-- because in that backpack was something you very, very much need: your passport.

My passport was stolen-- and with it went my laptop, my clothes, my cosmetics, a few interview recordings and part of my emotional stability. 

That stranger has no idea how much his/her decision would change things for me. 

But good news! In the last few days I travelled to Mumbai, got an emergency exit passport and got permission from India to leave their country (after six hours of sitting in an office and running around making copies). And even better news: I'm still going to make my original flight! 

I don't know why I had to go through that. I know that a big part of it was my own fault (like overlooking some promptings and advice). But I think some of it was to get me to make this choice: 

I'm going to go home to Canada for spring term. A few days ago nothing would have made me go back because I was so excited to be home at BYU with my friends. But now I feel like I need to be with my family. And I want to be in my country. It's been too long.. and when I stay away from Canada for too long I start to forget little pieces of myself that I rather like. 


So there you go. Take care of your passport. Keep it on you at all times-- but if something like this does happen to you, I bet there will be so many people who are willing to help you and so many miracles along the way until it can't help but work out. It won't work out perfectly but you'll learn something about the strength you have. 

Love, 
Stef

Comments

Popular Posts