Day 98: Saturdays

Whoever invented Saturdays is a beautiful person. Most people in India only get Sundays off! Can you imagine that?? I can't. For sanity's sake I definitely need a weekend. So today was lovely. I slept in, went to the Gitam campus (for our last visit), and then we went out to dinner as a group. It was kind of our good-bye dinner. In a few days we are all going our separate directions.

Three of us are going to Goa.
One is going to Turkey.
One is sticking around here for a week longer.
Another is off to North India.
And one is going home to Utah!

So we are leaving each other. After four months of being only us it definitely feels strange to break up our group of seven. When we first got to India I realized pretty fast that we all have very different personalities, opinions, and habits. We definitely didn't (and still don't) obviously "fit" together. It surprised me because I was used to living with roommates whose thoughts are nearly identical with mine (seriously, Kylie and I are very in-sync). But the seven of us have really created something special here. We learned to not only work around our differences, but to find those differences eye-opening and often even endearing.

The four months of my life in India will never be understood by anyone in the way that these people understand them. You just can't replicate the experiences, the rickshaw rides, the power cuts, the bartering and the inside jokes. :) I'll miss them. I'm sure there will be days when I'll wake up wondering where Carly is or walk into a room expecting Becca to be sitting there.

We might be excited to go home, but there is a long list of things hard to leave behind.

Love,

Stéf

Comments

Popular Posts