Day 6: Homes and Homework

This day began with a trip to Andhra University where we listened to a lecture by Randy Paige, a BYU professor who is visiting us for a few days. He spoke about issues concerning the elderly and it was really terrific! It reminded me that if I expect to live a healthy, long life then I should be dedicated to a healthy life style right now. Anyways, the interesting thing about this lecture was that we were treated like royalty. Newspapers were taking pictures, we got front row seats, we got refreshments... everything. That's the one thing I am having a hard time adjusting to here. It makes me a little uncomfortable being stared at and talked about wherever we go. The good thing is that I can just focus on the women and children and wave and smile at them and then I forget about everyone else haha

Other than that today has been pretty relaxed because I have homework to do. I guess I can't spend all my days avoiding studying or else I will never know enough Hindi or Telugu to communicate anything to anyone.

So instead of writing about adventures today I'll give you a tour around our house and some day-to-day things that are normal around here.


First off this is one of my favourite parts of the house! We have a balcony! It overlooks the street we live on and it has a great view of 1) the nicest house on the block (the mint coloured one) and 2) the park (not shown in this picture. I had no idea there would be palm trees here. Anyways when I sit on the balcony I can see all the kids that play cricket down the street, the street dogs lying in the sun, and the women in saris walking back and forth. And of course I hear the sound of crazy birds and horns but it just adds to the experience haha



This is the bucket I use to 'shower'. I'm actually starting to really appreciate it. I fill that bucket up about half way and I don't even use it all most of the time. It saves so much more water than showering or taking a bath! Now, I agree that showers are great but I'm definitely realizing how much water we use! 


This is where McKenna and I sleep. She has the white net and I have the green net. Surprisingly I haven't been bothered by mosquitoes at all so far but sleeping under a net reminds me of watching Totoro as a child and totally wanting to do this! Its like camping every day! Oh and last night a friendly little gecko joined me for a little while. 


This is the aerial view of our living room. This is where we eat and talk with our professors and guests. If you look closely you can see an inflatable penguin and a christmas tree. Why the penguin? Well... no one seems to know. I like it because it reminds me of snow and when it is this hot out I like to think about winter back home!


This is the roof of our house. So far I've only been up here to sketch. I like it up her though because both the building on either side are taller and these awesome ladies wave from where they sit. It makes me feel like I'm sort of part of the community! Or I will be if we see each other often enough.

So there you are :) This is my home for the next four months. It doesn't seem quite real but its starting to kick in. I'll feel more settled in when I start doing my research!

Stéf 

Comments

Popular Posts