Day 24: Bats and Breathing

OH HI :) Today was awesome. It was one of those days where everything seems great -- because everything IS great when you start the day of with french toast and syrup in India. There is something about the smell of french toast that makes me jump out of bed even at seven in the morning, even when I know that if I leave the confines of my net I probably won't get to rest for the rest of the day. BUT still. I can't resist.
After our lovely breakfast, we went to class and yet again we had another lovely surprise. Instead of sitting through class our teacher brought us to the market... where they sell fruit and vegetables. It was GREAT. It was so great that if I had had my money with me I probably would have bought one of everything just so I could try every time of gourd and bean and pepper imaginable. So it was a good thing I couldn't... but I will definitely be going back to practice bartering.
These lovely ladies in the flower section had the most beautiful pink roses and marigolds and hibiscus (I didn't even know what that was before today). We stood and admired them for a while and then they just gave us one of each flower for free! The were the sweetest. When I go back I'm definitely going to be buying stuff from them. People are very generous here-- even when they don't have very much. Gift giving is just a big thing!

Now for my favourite part of today: we started our yoga classes. And it was MY FAVOURITE. One day I'm going to be a yoga instructor... it's going to happen. But first I need to actually be flexible. I'm thinking that if I go every day while I'm in India (ok, almost every day) then I will at least be able to touch my toes standing up. That's a good goal right?
When we got to yoga tonight a few hilarious things happened. When we first got there the room was completely dark... so we thought, okay, that's cool, we'll just wait a few minutes till the teacher shows up. Eventually a few people went into class and lit one of the lights so we went to find a spot in the room. Guess what we come face to face with? A BAT. He's just flying around like he own the room. We're freaking out a little bit because he keeps coming within inches of us and then quickly veering off because of his sweet echo-location skills. But he is having the hardest time finding the window... even though every single window is wide open. I dunno... maybe this bat just wanted to do some yoga too.
The second adventure happened in the middle of our class. Our yoga teacher is a man in his mid-thirties who seems to work full time at this place. He gives his instructions in English in a sort of chanting, singing voice... Sometimes I'm not sure exactly what he is saying so I have to look around at everyone else to follow along. Anyways, in the middle of the class the power goes out. hahah Timing of all timings. Don't you just love that? So there we are, in the DARK trying to follow our instructor. And he keeps on going like nothing is happening. I love that about India :) You just go with the flow. I can do that.
And it gets better then that. I guess in Indian yoga (or maybe it's just the studio we chose?) breathing is a little bit different. At the very end of our practice there was this very intense breathing part where you release all the air you have in your body in one quick exhale... but while you're doing it, you basically make as much sound as possible. With everyone combined it sounds like a very loud chorus of... how would I describe it? Nose blowing? Nope, I can't even do it justice. Well, one day I will take a video of it and record it because it is soo funny... and very surprising. There was this one indian guy sitting beside us (who was over six feet tall by the way) who really got into it. I don't know how they make that sound but I plan on finding out. Either way, breathing that way is really energizing. I wanted to run a marathon by the time class was over.

I think I found my new evening hobby :)

Stéf 

Comments

  1. It's different in different studios. In fact, some six years ago I was at the same yoga class and we didn't have these breathing exercises :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh interesting! I've never seen that before but it's kind of cool :) We didn't get to go to class today because we had a group outing... we will see you tomorrow Sneha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts