Day 16: Heat and Humidity

Happy Sunday! We had a nice relaxing day here. We went downtown for church and for the rest of the day we just relaxed. My friends and I bought our plane tickets to New Delhi and we even made dinner for ourselves... to tell you the truth, it wasn't very successful. Turns out spaghetti just isn't something you can whip up in India. Our pasta turned into what looked like mashed potatoes and our tomato sauce tasted a lot more like tomato soup than it should have. But the corn on the cob we made was GREAT :) I guess we will cross spaghetti off the list of things to make for ourselves on Sunday nights. In some ways I'm thinking ramen might be the only thing we can pull off :P I'd love some salad right about now though.

Today I'm writing about 5 reasons I like the weather here. Its been pretty nice so far. This last week it rained once so it cooled down a little more-- but even with that it's as hot as some of the hottest days in a Canadian summer. Its only going to keep getting hotter and I have to remind myself not to complain too much about the heat. So here are my 5 reasons to enjoy it: 

1. People leave their doors open all the time. 
I think that this really does something to a culture and society. People tend to feel more open to going to other people's homes if their houses look accessible. So here open doors means someone's home. And it also seems to mean that its totally fine to go talk to them :) I like that; its really good for my research to be able to enter people's homes so easily! Also, sometimes it feels like what I imagine Greece to feel like. 
2. There are palm trees. 
Palm trees remind me of vacations and disneyland and hawaii and happiness. So every morning when I look out my window I just can't help but smile. 
3. The fruit here is fantastic. 
There always seems to be a fruit that is in season. My love for papaya is growing every day... I just don't know how I'll live without it when I get back to the States. Oh and little baby bananas and cantaloupe! Thank goodness I won't be here for mango season or else I might just stay forever. 
4. I can be tanned before summer even starts!!
Haha I find this one ironic because one of the other student researchers here is doing her project on skin whitening among Indian women. Here most women want to look FAIRER.... and here we all are as North Americans glad to be getting darker. 
5. The heat chases the mosquitos away in the day. 
Oh mosquitos... those suckers are the worst. They keep getting me. And then I wake up at night feeling crazy itchy. But if I can stay inside before dusk (when it gets a little cooler) than I barely see any. 

There I feel much better :) Even if I wake up feeling muggy, even if the sun is blazing and the humidity makes my hair unmanageable, now I can think about all the good things related to this tropical climate. Hopefully ;) 

Have a great beginning to your week!

Bye for now!
Stéf 

Comments

  1. Interesting research your friend picked I didn't know that was a trend. Something though that all you young Americans should keep in mind is not to underestimate the sun and what a 'tan' actually does to your skin. Tropical sun is deadlier than the Alberta son, and the good thing about 'staying light' is to protect yourself long term. So no need to bleach, no need to tan either - each for good reasons! 8)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts