Day 17: Interviews and the Italian of the East

I'm starting to realize just how awesome it is that we are in India to do research. I think that traveling all around would be an amazing experience but staying here in Vizag is equally rewarding. I get to really talk to people! I'm getting to a little bit about the lives that people here lead. It might not represent the whole Indian population but I am really impressed by each person I meet. Today I interviewed a Telugu lady who has a sister son (a nephew) living in Dubai. She was speaking Telugu so I couldn't understand her without my translator but their language is beautiful. I don't feel bored when I listen to them talk-- even though I have no idea what is going on. I just nod and smile until Rajyalakshmi translates for me.

Some people call Telugu the Italian of the East. I kind of agree! Like Italian, the language is smooth and full of vowels. Most words end with a vowel-- eeroju (day), somavaramu (monday), ekkada (where), and I many, many more. But beyond that I think there are a lot of similarities between Italian and Telugu people. I'll probably be using a few Italian stereotypes but I think most stereotypes are at least founded on reality. 

Telugu speakers tend to use there hands a lot; the speak with emphasis and their body language is part of that emphasis. Actually, they use their hands but what they use even more is their head. They head bobble a lot... I wish I could think of a better term for it. At first it was confusing because I didn't know exactly what it meant. They seem to use their head bobble to mean yes AND no. But now I think of it as them showing that they are engaged. Once in a while it really does mean yes-- like when I ask a direct question. But the rest of the time I think it means, "Continue I'm listening" or "Are you listening?" I'm starting to pick it up. I'll probably be doing it unconsciously by the time I get home! haha

I also imagine that Italians have the same kind of laid back way of life as Telugu people. A lot of people take a break in the afternoon here. Since we are in a more suburban area people shut down there shops for an hour or two for lunch. Everything gets a little quieter for a few hours as people rest. I think this should be instituted worldwide! :D Thats definitely the time of day I find the hardest to push through. 

Lastly, Telugu people are very proud of their culture! They have great food, lots of traditions and they usually stay in the same area for most of their lives. 

So there you have it! The Italian of the East. Interesting, since Italy is the next place I'm dying to visit ;) 

I never really thought that I would prefer being in Visakhapatnam over say... New Delhi or Varanasi. I haven't been to either of those places yet but I'm glad that I am spending four months in a smaller city where people are a little more isolated from the craze of modernization. Of course they are still affected by it but I feel like this city might be a better representation of typical Indian life. 

Stéfanie 

Comments

Popular Posts