La Seyne sur Mer

Today for work Kevin and I were asked to accompany a group of volunteers on their monthly outing with a group of elderly people they follow. Usually the group just puts together a luncheon at Le Manier (where I typically work) but they wanted to change it up a little bit so they took them to La Syne sur Mer, a city just by Toulon and about an hour from Marseille. It's pretty much where Le Cote D'Azur (the French Riviera) starts. 


Les Petits Frères owns a house there and so they bring people here for day trips and longer vacations too. It's huge and the grounds are beautiful. It's also a two minute walk from the beach.


The water is beautiful!


The meals Les Petits Freres provide are amazing and take forever. Eating in France is not something you rush. It's an art and it's more about the enjoying the experience and the company. We were at the table from 11-4. And there was always something to eat or drink.

This was our second entree. It was amazing--tuna mixed with some kind of little lettuce stuff and black tomatoes.


The main course was scalloped potatoes (gratin) and duck. 

Then we had the cheese course but I forgot to take a picture. Goat cheese, Roquefort, Camembert...

This was the first dessert (the strawberries are like the ones in Québec!)

Second dessert
And finally it was over! hahah

During the meal I learned a few fun things that the Marseillais say: 
Vé instead of "regarde"
Té instead of "voila"
Dégun instead of "nothing" (so if I were to ask someone: "There's no one in that room?", they could answer: "Oui, y'a dégun!") 
To flirt is "draguer" (and "flirter" is a verb too, but it means a little bit more--probably the person who is performing the action is doing more than just charming someone, they are probably kissing them too)

I love my job so so much. No just because I get to eat good food and go to cool places. I love it because I am surprised every day by how much I love working with elderly people. They have so much to say and I like listening so it's a good match. I also love that I get to practice my French so much. 

But most of all I just lovvve the people I get to meet through this job. I don't know how typical they are in France but they are just so welcoming. They also are full of personality--a quality I really really admire. 

Till next time!
Stéfanie



Posts coming up soon: 
Notre Dame de la Garde (Tomorrow)
Cannes Film Festival!! (We are going on Saturday)








Comments

  1. Ha Ha it sucks to be you. Too much fun and eating going on. 8)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts