Precipitation, Proposals and Presentations

Happy Tuesday :)

I had a wonderful General Conference weekend. My very own Pop Pop (my dad) was here visiting! He arrived with 6 bags of ketchup chips, about 10 pounds of Smarties, and 3 large bags of Perogies (which I cooked for my FHE family yesterday). We had a great time together. We went shopping, went to see The Host and Life of Pi (which we thoroughly enjoyed), ate some delicious food (JDawgs and Cafe Rio), went to the Provo temple, delighted in the wonders on relaxing from classes and school work;), watched General Conference and even went to Salt Lake City for the Sunday sessions. Seeing my father in the conference centre was like watching a child in a candy shop. He LOVED it-- to say the least. He left Monday morning and now life is back to normal! Except now we are into the last week of school!

And now to tell you about this last lovely week! Rain, snow... we have had it all! But everything is starting to look like Spring :) Spring in Utah is amazing. If you come from a place that doesn't really have any distinct seasons (like Alberta) then you would love it here!

Now for something EXCITING! JULIE WILLIS AND SAM ANDERSON ARE ENGAGED!!! :D
Yes, these two gorgeous souls:


I love these two together :) Now, they better be okay with hanging out with me after they are married because I have no idea what life at BYU without Julie would be like. We have been roommates for 2 years and I have never shared so much with one person. 

Moving on...
Now today is the culmination of all the craziness of the last few weeks! But I have made it through.

Today I presented the findings and design of my final paper for People's of India. Here are some fun facts: Northern Indians celebrate relationships between brothers and sisters. They have rituals and festivals to strengthen the bonds of reliance and solidarity between cross-siblings. In August, for the celebration called Raksha Bandhan, (ie. Shravan) sisters give their brothers Rakhi (thread bracelets) which become symbols of the brother's promise to protect his sister throughout her life. Cool huh?
Sometimes girls give these bracelets to other important brother-like men in their lives. I hear its effective if you want to friend-zone someone (sad, but convenient) haha

Above: Here I am getting ready to present. Honestly, I was not very calm. But it went well considering the time I took to practice!

After that presentation I scrambled together a Hindi oral final. The assignment was to tell a story. And so I told the very condensed story of Elizabeth Bennet and Fitzwilliam Darcy. One more thing out of the way :) And also, I love Hindi. It is such a beautiful language. I'm sad that I will not have classes throughout the summer. (Sidenote: if you want to watch a wonderful, unpredictable, touching movie watch Baarfi; its in Hindi and on Netflix... I promise you will love it!)

This has been one of the most challenging weeks of my time here at BYU- physically, intellectually, emotionally. But overall, I learned that Heavenly Father gives us revelation through the Holy Ghost that may not always make sense. But I promise that if you follow his direction, no matter how hard it may seem, no matter how much it goes against what you think you want, in the end you will be so much happier and so much more at peace! I promise :) For me, that was the message that stood out during General Conference this weekend.

Also, if you wake up thinking your day is going to suck here's a challenge: list 20 things that make this day good! And if you want keep listing things all day. Because yesterday I woke feeling like I couldn't wait till I could jump back into bed-- but life is about enjoying each day, not just the ones that seem exciting in the future! Even if you have finals ;)

Love you all,

Stéf

Comments

Popular Posts