Last Day As An Intern

It's the morning of the last day of my internship and like always I find it hard to be sad at the end of something.. I'm always too excited for what is ahead! But I know it will all hit me a few days from now when I'm really not here anymore and I really can't just hop on the metro and go see the volunteers and the elderly people I have loved in this city.

Last day of my internship. 

Let me tell you something about Marseille--it is underrated. People, especially the French who haven't been here, think of Marseille as a dangerous place. There are a lot of foreigners and immigrants and poverty and who knows, maybe in the past it really was dangerous here. But in the time that I have been here I have never felt unsafe (and I work in the north! which is meant to be the sketchy part of town). I have always felt welcome and I have seen good deeds everywhere, and often even from gangs of teenagers who you wouldn't have expected it from.

One time on the bus this group of teenagers was blasting there music in the back. When I sat down I glance back to see where the music was coming from. One of the boys immediately offered to turn it down if it was bothering me. He was very polite about it and I told him it was fine but I was definitely impressed!

Tuesday, on the metro I went to sit down and the lady across from me pointed out that a plastic bag I was carrying was beginning to rip at the corners. I said thank you. A few minutes later another lady sitting diagonal from me offers me a shopping bag so I can replace the ripped one and the ladies around me helped me to put my things in the bag.

There is just this helpful mentality here in Marseille. People kind of stay in there own lives for the most part, but if you ask they're glad to help!

So I hope that if you ever get the chance to come to France you stop in Marseille. My Rick Steves France travel book says nothing about this amazing city and it's a shame because there is nothing more beautiful then spending an evening on the beaches of Marseille looking out the Calanques and the mountains, the islands, and the Mediterranean sea. I guarantee that you will find something special here if you stay long enough.


Love,

Stéf

Ps. Monday I start a new kind of adventure in France. I'm backpacking with my sister for 2 weeks! 

Comments

Popular Posts