Acton Bell's Confidence

Today I want to write about the time my path crossed with Acton Bell--an author who inspired me to write, and to write truthfully. 

When I was fifteen I wrote my first blog. I gave myself the pen-name 'Acton Bell' to match one of my favourite authors at that time. Acton Bell was the name Anne Bronte chose for herself, afraid that her books might be judged differently if they were thought to have been written by a woman. So Anne was my favourite; I always preferred her over her sisters Charlotte and Emily. I have a thing for the under appreciated -- the overlooked. Everyone knows about Emily and Charlotte Bronte; about Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre. Both books are fantastically written so it's easy to see why. But Anne intrigued me. Who was this quieter sister with such a different style from her sisters? She was a romantic, but a realist; she wrote gently while managing to drive her words into her reader's heart. Her second book, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, told the bitter truth at a time when women had few rights--especially in marriage. When I read her words I wanted to be that kind of writer. I wanted to show the beauty of life alongside the pitfalls and the scrapes. I wanted to write to encourage love for the world while striving to make it better. The other two Bronte sisters write beautifully, but it's Anne who reminds me that the best writing comes from your soul--not just your imagination.


Now that I'm not in India anymore I have to find something new to write about. I think it's time to look back on what Acton Bell taught me when I was 15. I want to write something meaningful--something with soul.


Today I'm sharing one of Anne's poems. It's about her relationship with Jesus Christ and it's absolutely beautiful. I'm grateful to those who use their talents in life to inspire others to be greater and to love more. Her poem is called Confidence


Oppressed with sin and woe,
A burdened heart I bear,
Opposed by many a mighty foe:
But I will not despair. 
With this polluted heart
I dare to come to Thee,
Holy and mighty as Thou art;
For Thou wilt pardon me.

I feel that I am weak,
And prone to every sin:
But Thou who giv'st to those who seek,
Wilt give me strength within.

Far as this earth may be
From yonder starry skies;
Remoter still am I from Thee:
Yet Thou wilt not despise.

I need not fear my foes,
I need not yield to care,
I need not sink beneath my woes:
For Thou wilt answer prayer.

In my Redeemer's name,
I give myself to Thee;
And all unworthy as I am
My God will cherish me.

O make me wholly Thine!
Thy love to me impart,
And let Thy holy spirit shine
For ever on my heart! 


Acton Bell 

Comments

Popular Posts