Le Vieux Port

One thing is for sure about my internship: it's never going to be monotonous. Visiting and connecting with very elderly (and often very poor) people in the community isn't something that I've had the chance to do a whole lot in my life. Nor is keeping up a conversation in French. And I know I've only worked for two days but I am sure this is the perfect environment to 1) get over my inhibitions with speaking French (I can't really avoid speaking can I?) and to 2) forget myself and just love serving. So really it works out perfectly!

It was really a nice day. I met a few ladies that volunteer with Les Petits Frères that I really loved: Helene and Martine. Both were super nice to me and offered to help me with whatever I needed as I get settled in. Martine took me sight-seeing for a little while and bought me some desserts to try.

The two other guys doing internships here this summer got in this afternoon! So to celebrate their first evening in France we went to "le Vieux Port", the old downtown/port, in the late evening to do some touristy stuff--like take lots of pictures. Here are a few:

 The port (*taken specially for Rick Johnson--you would love it!*)

Another port picture with Notre Dame de la Garde up on the hill. 

I would mess this picture up with my thumb. Anyways, some very pretty hotel right on the harbour.


The great pizza I had for late dinner.

Us!


It's great to all be together now! We have the day off tomorrow to go explore a little! Well actually, all of France has the day off. 

My observation for the day: 
French people drive very differently! They get a whole lot closer to each other, they park wherever they want (on sidewalks, curbs, etc.), and they don't necessarily care about the rules of the road. They just seem to do what fits, as long as no one gets hurt. The pedestrians definitely follow suite haha

Love, 

Stéfanie 






ps. For mom. As you requested. Sorry I dont have a beret. It cost me less than 2 euros for 2 baguettes. :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts