Four Months Later....

HI!

Since I know this blog isn't widely read I'm sure no one has noticed but I apologize for not writing for the last four months. I'm kind of sad that there will be a gap in my posts when I look back on my years at BYU. Lets see if I can fill in a little of what I've experienced and what I have learned.

Sophomore year has been amazing. Freshman year was fun and life changing, but this year has thrown me so many curveballs and blessings and new experiences. Here are a few:

1. Anthropology continues to get better and better. I never realized that it would be so much work, but I am so grateful that it is because I am learning so much about what I have always wanted to know. This semester I am taking a class on ethnonationalism and SE Asia. I LOVE it. There are only 8 students in the class and we sit in our seminar room and discuss the articles we have read. It feels like a Master's level class. I've had to read sooo much but all of it feels relevant. I feel like I'm learning to communicate my thought and to use words properly. Also, I'm kind of learning a lot about how I feel about treating other people as if they are disadvantaged. I don't really like it. Because maybe some people just want to be left alone instead of being forced to industrialize and conform and alter their culture to survive (radical, I know).

2. Shout out to Kelsey Hirsche who is getting married in June to Johnny Wenzel. Its crazy to me that she met Johnny here at BYU yet we all lived just outside of Calgary (Johnny and I went to the same High School). I love how timing is one of the most important factors in God's plan for each of us.


3. Big one: My internship in Varanasi, India was canceled last week. My plane ticket was bought and my plans completely made but now I will be staying here this summer. At first I was devastated but the peace I have felt in the last week has reminded me that when one door closes its only so another better path can be opened. I will be staying in Provo during spring and summer, taking some classes... going with the flow :) (Read Oh, the places you'll go by Dr. Seuss ;) )

4. My ward is amazing. My FHE family is WONDERFUL. Canyon Terrace has been very good to us. However, Kylie, Julie and I will be moving to Regency in south Provo at the end of April. Its exciting but I will miss being close to the wonderful people we have met this year. (This picture is us right after winning the lottery... just kidding we got into our first choice for housing in the summer)


5. Julie, Shybree, Chelsea, Katie and I went to California in February! :) We had a wonderful time at 6 Flags. Since Julie was the weekend photographer we are still waiting for those pictures to be posted. Honestly though-- we had an AMAZING time. Definitely going to have to do that again.

6. I turned 20! :D It was quite exciting. I don't care very much about birthdays after this point. Its just wonderful to be out of those teens ;) I had a terrific girls night where we had a Bollywood party. We watched Kismat Konnection (which I LOVED) and I made Kulfi (Indian icecream... so good). On the day of my birthday Kylie made me Cream of Brocolli and soup bowls. She is a wonderful, wonderful friend. Also, we got some fish. 5 of them. However, four have died in the last two weeks. We said farewell to Ron, Vanellope, Tiger Branson, and one more... I can't remember his name. Dang. King is still kicking. We should throw that fish a party.


7. My dad is coming in 2 weeks! My mom and brother are coming in a bit more than a month! I can't wait to show them the life I have here-- because it is great and it is mine.

8. A few weeks ago I met Courtney (CJ) Kendrick at a BYU women's conference. Kylie had asked me to come along with her and when I got there (a little late) Kylie leaned over to me to tell me that CJ had served a mission in Québec. I was excited about this so I wanted to talk to her after. When I asked her when she served there I realized that she actually served in my ward. Suddenly I remembered her. I was probably 6 or 7 at the time but she and her companion Sister Anthony were my favourite sister missionaries ever. They really changed my life-- I wanted to be just like them. It was such a cool experience for me-- she remembered my family and everything! She even ended up coming to our Lamb of God performance (mentioned bellow). She is beautiful and still inspirational. I was grateful for that special tender mercy.


9. One of my favourite parts of this year so far: this weekend Kylie and I were in Lamb of God, a musical production that tells the story of Christ's last week on earth, the crucifixion and the resurrection. It was the most amazing experience. We stood for hours but I would do it again and again because the music is so powerful. I am so grateful for my Saviour. I don't think i'll comprehend the Atonement completely in this life but I catch glimpses every now and then and it is breathtaking.

10. Everyone is going on a mission! I would just like to say how proud I am of all my friends that are out there right now or who have served :) Thank you, thank you, thank you. I can't imagine where my life would be without missionaries sharing the truth all around the world.

SO life is good. So good. That is all :)

I am grateful for the Gospel and the flecks of gold that are in my life all around me.

Love,

Stéf

Comments

Popular Posts