Celebrating 11 Korean Dramas


Since I missed the hallmark event of my tenth Korean drama I feel that I should at least dedicate a post to finishing my 11th. My hope is that this will encourage you take a break from American TV shows (as I have a great extend) and jump into something much more entertaining :D Honestly, I can't watch regular TV anymore because it just seems so boring now. Also, Korean dramas are usually (99.9% of the time) extremely clean. I will list dramas in order of preference (I'll start with the very best). Actually, the first six are tied because they are each so different yet so wonderful, each in a unique way. 

1.              The King 2 Hearts

Synopsis: A story about tension between South and North Korea and about modern-day fictional south Korean monarchy.

What can I say? This one just cut me to the heart. It’s a beautiful mixture of action, thrill, romance and comedy. The characters are dynamic, the setting is mystifying, the plot is multilayered and enthralling. I recommend this one to everyone. It was my first and I have a hard time believing I can ever find another drama that will hit me so powerfully. I have never felt more deeply about a character in a TV series than I did for Eun Shi-kyung (played by Jo Jung-suk). Each character goes through a unique journey of self-discovery and of love. It might sound like I was a little too attached… and trust me, I was. But that is the beauty of this drama.  Every episode draws you in. Great balance of action and romance. And the main villain is sooo perfectly creepy. 

Eun Shi-kyung and the princess, Lee Yoon-ji... 80% of why I watched this show was just for the few moments they share together


Jae-Ha and Hang-Ah. I hated Jae-ha for the first few episodes but trust me, he turned that around in the end. And Hang-ah is so hard core. I love them as a couple. 

2.              City Hunter

Synopsis: About a rich young man who takes the law into his own hands to take revenge on the crooked men who are responsible for his father's death. (Robin Hood-esque) 

City Hunter. I would watch this one again in a heartbeat. Both lead actors are wonderful. Kim Na-na stole my heart with her goodness and devotion. “Its okay to like someone”… there are some beautiful lessons to be learned in this drama. And the action is wonderful. I watched this during the last month of a school semester and I had to strictly regulate myself—because it’s the kind of drama you get extremely addicted to. Watch it, and then thank me later. It’s on Netflix.

This is the point when I started to realize how different Korean fashion style is. And I love it. It took me a little bit to warm up to it, and maybe I don't think I could ever pull it off, but they most certainly can. 


Lee Yoon-sung, or in other words City Hunter. 



Park Min-young playing Kim Na-na... I wasn't sure about her at first but she turned out to the most sincere actress I have seen in a Korean drama to date. I can't praise her enough. And the love story is beautiful.

3. The Greatest Love/The Best Love

Synopsis: The story of a 30-year-old used-to-be-star (Gu Ae-Jung) who fell out of favour 10 years back due to some scandal. She happens to meet very Dokko Jin,  a very arrogant but very famous Korean action star. There paths become entangled. And the rest is history. 

This Korean drama came out of the blue. Its not ultra-well-known either. But it should be. Because the love story is very touching. The acting is exaggerated but in the most planned, perfect way. There are hilarious moments and heart breaking moments. There are also a few great and very unexpected twists. What I loved the most is the allegories and metaphors they come up with NON-STOP through out the show. It makes the dialogue much more exciting. I'm sure I missed a lot due to not actually speaking Korean but I still understood enough to really appreciate it.

Here is the very good looking cast :) The two centre actors are the leads. Also, did I mention how amazing Korean suits are? 


Gung Hyo-jin is so cute and the potato analogy is my favourite.


4. King of Dramas

Synopsis: The story of a fallen Korean Drama producer (Anthony Kim) trying to make his way back to the top. But to do that he needs the help of talented, rookie writer Lee Go-Eun. This show is about trust, integrity, love and the Korean Drama-making world. 

Honestly, my top five so far are all just about even. They are all dramas I would watch again. This one hit me hard because the two leads are wonderful actors. They are so sincere in there performance and Jung Ryeo-wan is now my favourite Korean actress :) I love the clothes!! The show starts off with more action-- driven by the problems of the production industry and Anthony's dangerous ambition. But right at the perfect moment it becomes more about Anthony and Go-Eun's love story. 

I love Go-Eun's goodness. 

5. Answer me 1997

Synopsis: The story of a group of friends as they grow up in the nineties and what happens to their friendship as time goes by. 

My Korean friend Bomi suggested this drama. How do I feel about Answer me 1997?... I can't even explain. It has such a different mood then the others I have watched. It felt much more like real life-- like something that I could really relate to. It is heartbreaking and complicated. I can't say much else because I just can't describe it without giving too much away. But it was brilliant. When I think about it I just get chills. 

It took me a while to love these two characters. She is so annoying and he is so moody. But now I can't help but smile :) 


I love that there are many stories going on all at once.



6.              Secret Garden

Synopsis: The love story between a poor stuntwoman and a rich, stuck-up CEO that involves some body-swapping, lots of bickering, and a few very bedazzled tracksuits. 

Everyone loves Secret Garden. You just can't deny it. At first I wondered what the hype was about but as time went on I fell in love with it. I think it took me a while because it was the first Korean drama I watched that didn't have a fair amount of action in it. Actually, even then this one still has a lot of cool stunts since Gil Ra-Im is a stuntwoman. There is something about the actor Hyun-Bin that just becomes extremely addicting. I had to watch another drama with him in it soon after to get my fix ;) 

Hyun-Bin in his many wonderful track suits hahahaha He grows on you; I promise!


Very much a tomboy in this role (she's also the lead actress in The King 2 Hearts)


Okay... from this point on I'm just putting pictures and a quick comment. The first 6 were amazing. The rest were worth it but I wouldn't put them on the same level. 

7. Queen Inhyun's Man 

Synopsis: Adorable story about time travel and love. 


8. 9 end 2 outs 

Synopsis: A touching story about being 30 and unmarried. And falling in love with your best friend. 



9. Flower Boy Ramyun Shop 

Synopsis: A strange story about a student-teacher falling in love with a student. 

Sounds weird, and it sure seems weird, but somehow its really quite a good drama. At first I thought it would be pretty shallow but it definitely gained some depth. There is also a super love triangle and a lot of ramyun. I was definitely inspired to develop a few ramen recipes of my own as I watched this drama. 


Pretty much all the actors are gorgeous yet also really annoying. I am still surprised that it turned out to be pretty good!


10.  Pasta

Synopsis: The story of an aspiring chef and her new head chef. 

Honestly, not much happens in this one... like, ever. But the chemistry between the leads is great; it was a great one to watch throughout the semester because I didn't get obsessed with it but it still gave me a little piece of Korean drama when I needed a break from studying. Like I said before Gung Hyo-jin is one of my favourite Korean actresses (also in The Greatest Love). 



11.  My name is Kim Sam Soon

Synopsis: Rich guy and a slightly chubby, self-conscious older cook fall into a complicated kind of love.

This one was a big hit in the Korean drama world. I liked it too but not deeply. I watched it for Hyun-bin though and he did not disappoint :) 


And there you go! Longest post ever :) But I hope you eventually crack into one of these shows. Because TV wont be the same ever again! Now I love Korea :) and I've picked up a few Korean works. I can say hello, who are you, definitely, goldfish, yes and no. So there you go ;) Its all worth it!

Stéfanie

ps. If you don't know where to find these shows here are a few tips
1. Go to Hulu, there are tons there
2. If that doesn't work check Netflix
3. Next: dramacrazy.net
4. Then: epdrama.com or dramafever.com

And when I want reviews for new dramas to watch I go to dramabeans.com or samsoondowntherabbithole.com

Comments

Popular Posts